Thursday, May 13, 2010

As They Grow Older, So Does the Ism Change

From Gaby: This is my very first Blog and with 3 E's I'm starting this new page of our Son-Rise experience. For the past 6 years I have shared this amazing Son-Rise journey with my son Tybalt. Once severely autistic and mentally retarded. The doctors gave us no hope he would be as a plant never to speak a word. The advice was to put him in a home and concentrate on his sister. Tybalt mean time though still autistic is a happy gregarious boy speaking full sentences, learning to read, he shares that he loves us and that he misses me when I go to work. The periods that he seems normal and not autistic ,are longer each day. In wonder I look at how far my son has come. He does still ism and this sometimes gives hilarious situations like last week. When I came home after work one evening I found him playing in his room. He was sitting on the floor stimming over a book. He loves holding long pieces of paper in his hand which he calls a "wiebel." In his right hand he held a paper wiebel but in his left hand he held the new ( and first ever) bra of his sister. He held it between the two cups and with great dexterity he manged to move it in a magical way. Feeling his sister might not like him using it I explained it wasn't a wiebel but his sisters bra and that he might still be too young to play with it. NO I'M NOT he said but sweet as he let me have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment